Friday, June 28, 2013

Body sizes

It has been a while since I wanted to touch on this topic but I don't know where I should start, and it's also a pretty sensitive topic - given my standard of English - I don't think I will be able to write out how I feel and what I want to say exactly.

That aside, here is what triggered me to write this post.

How insensitive some people are.

I'm 153cm, 32kg. I look horribly skinny and I can't grow fat for whatever the heck I eat.
Because of this, people tends to assume that I'm someone who doesn't eat a lot, or in worse cases, some people thought I starve myself just to maintain this skeleton figure I have.

Because of that terrible misunderstanding - most of them thought I am suffering from ANOREXIA.

I know I'm not the only skinny people out there who gets exposed to all sorts of negative comments about our body figures, which is why I'm writing this post to let other skinny people know THAT THEY ARE NOT ALONE.

First of all, people take the word ANOREXIA / ANOREXIC way too lightly.
I have friends who likes to call me anorexic as a joke and I'll just smile and try to brush it off because I don't want to appear as a petty freak but truth is - IT FCKING HURTS.
Being able to joke about this shows how they don't think it's anything serious at all, and most of them don't even know the meaning of anorexia or anorexic, and just throwing the word around simply.

Here's the actual definition of it - from wikipedia.

Anorexia nervosa is an eating disorder characterized by immoderate food restriction and irrational fear of gaining weight, as well as a distorted body self-perception. It typically involves excessive weight loss and is usually found more in females than in males. Because of the fear of gaining weight, people with this disorder restrict the amount of food they consume. This restriction of food intake causes metabolic and hormonal disorders. Outside of medical literature, the terms anorexia nervosa and anorexia are often used interchangeably; however, anorexia is simply a medical term for lack of appetite, and people with anorexia nervosa do not in fact, lose their appetites. Patients suffering from anorexia nervosa may experience dizziness, headaches, drowsiness and a lack of energy.

It is an EATING DISORDER, IRRATIONAL FEAR OF GAINING WEIGHT, AND A DISTORTED BODY SELF-PERCEPTION.

It's more like a mental problem which hence causes a change physically.

Being skinny DOES NOT mean that person is anorexic. How much do you know just by looking at his/her appearances?
On top of that, what if a person really happens to have anorexia? How will he/she react to your 'joke'?

On the other hand, why will some people suffer from anorexia anyway? BECAUSE OF INSENSITIVE PEOPLE who teases skinny people about how FAT they look when they actually really aren't. 

There are people who are born to be skinny, and no matter how hard they try to grow fatter, they can't.
Just like how fat people dislike being called fat, skinny people dislike being called skinny either.

I don't get why that is to everyone, fat people will be hurt when disgusting insults are being thrown at them, but skinny people wouldn't.

To add on, there are many fat people who tried really hard, risking their lives to become skinnier just to fit into nice dresses.
It is not a nice thing to hear, and me, too, will not want ANY of them to go through any miserable times just to be skinnier.

However, just because there are many many news about fat people trying too hard to become skinny, are you neglecting the skinny people who are trying too hard to become fatter?

It's good to console people who needs consolation but pulling others down just to make oneself feel better isn't a good way either.

There are many people out there, especially on the internet, pulls out ALL the disadvantages of being skinny and how disgustingly ugly it is to be skinny instead of fat.

MIND YOU, IF YOU'RE TRYING TO SAVE LIVES, YOU'RE DOING IT SO WRONG.

Even though it's sad and you don't want fat people to kill themselves due to their strong desire to be skinny, you do not have to bring in skinny people and insult them.

Isn't it funny how you're trying to save their lives but at the same time, trying to kill another?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say how GOOD being skinny is AT ALL - I just want people to know how difficult it is for skinny people to have to suffer from all these insults. People NEEDS to know how much it hurts for us as well.

Not EVERYONE wants to be skinny.

Lastly, it's not good to be TOO SKINNY or TOO FAT. We all know, I'm sure about it.

However,

If we have a choice, who wouldn't want to look perfect? 

Who wouldn't want to have a figure similar to a VS model?
Who wouldn't want to look good and feel confident?

It's not easy - but your insensitivity and ignorance aren't helping either.

No comments:

Post a Comment