Saturday, July 27, 2013

Review: Konjac Sponge

I have owned this for quite some time already, and I have already used up both the round ones (black and white), and I am left with the huge oval Konjac sponge which is meant for face or body I believe. 

So here I am gonna share with you my experience with Konjac sponge and let you in about this interesting sponge. Why not simply wash your face with your hands...?


The Konjac
Amorphophallus Konjac, the Konjac Potato is a perennial plant, native to Asia and sometimes known as Konnyaku (I know what you're thinking.. Konnyaku Jelly haha!). Konnyaku or Konjac potatoes are cultivated for food in Japan and Korea, but wild forms grow naturally in many parts of China, Korea and Japan. These are growing wild at very high altitude, and therefore are pure and polutant-free.

Konjac was originally introduced to Japan as a medicine in the 6th century, and was recognized for its health giving properties. It is also used frequently as a thickener and jelly, and is often present in noodles.

For over a century, the Japanese have been using the konjac vegetable as a beauty treatment for their delicate skin. As the Konjac is an alkaline which is loaded with goodness of protein, carbohydrate, iron, phosphorus, copper, zinc, vit. A, E, D, B1, B2, B6, B12, C and folic acid...etc. Thus Japanese have really good skin!

One interesting fact. Konjac can also be eaten, but these Konjac sponge should never be eaten alright!

http://www.konjacspongecompany.com/page_2383984.html

How to Use
Use it as part of your cleansing routine, day and night. Lather your facial foam on your palms and apply it on your face. Then using the konjac sponge, gently massage your skin in circular motions - be sure not to be too harsh or you might tug your skin and get premature wrinkles ;)

When I am using the konjac sponge, I am just gently moving the sponge around my face /body without pressing or pressure.

The Verdict
After the use of the konjac sponge, it always leaves my skin feeling less bumpy and smoother. It gently exfoliates the top layer of dirt, allowing your skin to be ready to absorb your moisturiser or other serums after your face is cleansed.

I enjoy using it daily. However I will discourage people with severe acne, cysts and irritated skin to use this because the gentle exfoliation daily might aggravate your acne condition as it did for mine. Long story cut short, I had no problems with the sponge until one fine day when I had horrible outbreak of acne and some huge pimples. And the use of the konjac sponge did leave my skin softer, but I believe it did not aid in the healing of the acne and may irritate the red skin. Professional acne websites also discourage excessive exfoliation and use of scrub beads in the cleansing routine.

The GOOD
1. Leaves your skin feeling smooth and clean
2. Does not irritate your skin - but make sure you be gentle
3. Affordable, one piece costs around SGD 8 or so?

The BAD
1. Must be used frequently, otherwise it will harden and break
2. There's an expiry date, which is at the bottom of the packaging, embossed.
3. Will aggravate acne or cystic skin, which I will discourage using this daily 

Overall: 4/5 
Great for mild exfoliation daily, however if you do not use regularly, it will dry up and break =( 

Where To Get
Luxola - http://www.luxola.com/brands/the-konjac-sponge-company
Qoo10 - http://list.qoo10.sg/item/SHOPONLINELAH-COM-KONJAC-SPONGE-100-NATURAL-FIBER/405904500
Smoochiezzz Warehouse/ Events - http://smoochiezz.com/index.php?route=events/events

So... Do you use any facial cleansing cloth or sponges to aid in your cleansing routine? What is your skincare routine, please comment & share it with me ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment