Saturday, October 23, 2010

Review: Revlon ColorStay Makeup with SoftFlex SPF 6 Combination/Oily Skin in 180 Sand Beige

I was looking for a good liquid foundation for the winter months as I find my skin needs a bit more coverage during this time of year than it does in the summer, and going through YouTube, the most raved about foundations were Revlon ColorStay and PhotoReady. So I hit the pharmacy to see which is the better of the two. I couldn't do a comparison because they only had ColorStay in my shade whilst they only had PhotoReady in the darker shades.  Anyways, I went for the shade 180 Sand Beige for Combination/Oily Skin. After a month of using it (weekends only), here are my thoughts about it.


What you get is a transparent glass jar with a screw-off black cap. The transparent jar makes it easy to compare shades if your pharmacy/store doesn't have testers, so you can take your usual foundation and compare them just by placing the bottles near each other. The way you have to dispense the product on the other hand is not that convenient. For this reason I really wanted the PhotoReady one as it comes with a pump dispenser; this, you pour it out. This may mean waste of product and messy bottle necks and caps (I wipe the neck after each use because I'm obsessed with my make up looking like new!).



When you open the bottle for the first few times, a solvent-like smell will greet you. Some argue that it puts them off; me, I can't say I like it, but it doesn't bother me that much, plus it faded in less than a month. I still smell it, but it is not as strong as it was when I first got this foundation. Furthermore, it doesn't linger on your skin.

With regards application, this foundation dries pretty quickly, so I suggest you work on small areas at a time, blending quickly and thoroughly for a seamless finish. Even though it dries quickly, before it is completely dry, I find it goes a bit tacky-like. I counteract this by applying a translucent powder in circular buffing motions with a dense powder brush. I don't like however when it tends to stick to my nail polished nails and to remove it I have to really work hard with make up remover.

I'd say this foundation offers very good coverage. I only use it on weekends though because it is more evident compared to my everyday mineral one and I also restrain usage to the bad-skin-weekends only. The shade however is a perfect match for my skin and doesn't feel weighing at all. It has a fairly liquid consistency, although it may be a bit on the thicker side. This doesn't bother me as such because I use a small amount and it still looks rather natural.


Left: Not blended; right: blended  

It's a good thing this foundation has some SPF in it but 6 is definitely not enough, especially if it is someone who uses this as an everyday foundation. So remember to slather on a moisturizer with a good SPF underneath. I don't do this because like I said earlier, I use this foundation at night.

Revlon ColorStay Makeup is available in an array of shades for both Normal/Dry skin types and Combination/Oily skin types. I bought mine for €17.94 for 30ml.

Blogger Templates
Blogger Templates

No comments:

Post a Comment