Monday, May 28, 2012

Myth-Busting Monday - Facial Cleansing

Myth:  If you clean your face better, you can clear up acne.

Fact is:  Over-cleaning your face can actually make matters worse.  You see acne is caused primarily by hormonal fluctuations that affect the oil gland, creating an environment where acne-causing bacteria can flourish.  Don't confuse scrubbing or "deep cleaning" with helping acne, beacause it absolutely doesn't.  Over-cleansing your face triggers inflammation that can actually make acne worse.  What really helps breakouts is using a gentle cleanser so you don't damage your skin's outer barrier or create inflammation, both of which hinder your skin's ability to heal and fight bacteria, along with using gentle exfoliation.  An effective exfoliating product that contains salicylic acid or glycolic acid can make all the difference in reducing acne when used with a topical disinfectant containing benzoyl peroxide.  None of these products should contain any irritating ingredients whatsoever, and particularly not alcohol, menthol, peppermint, or eucalyptus.



Over the years I have tried countless products, some expensive, others less expensive, but nothing has helped my skin more than these two products: 
  • Revival Hand & Nail Cleanser - an extremely mild cleanser without harsh surfactants yet strong enough to remove all make-up in one swipe.  Recently I came home from a triathlon with black marker on my arms and legs.  This product amazed me again by removing these markings so quickly and efficiently - I can't rave enough about this cleanser.  It has also helped people with bad cases of acne.  So it can be labelled a multi-tasker - good for the entire body and very little is needed to do the job.  It is important to note that most conventional hand soaps have aqua/water listed as the first or second ingredient, whereas the Revival Hand & Nail Cleanser contains no water, but rather some of the most expensive ingredients on the market.
  • Revival Skin Conditioning Milk - a luxiurious feeling skin milk containing hylauronic acid that penetrates quickly leaving your skin with a hydrated sensation rather than a waxy film.  It is wonderful for the whole body, but I also use it on my face and it doesn't clog up my pores such as many others facial creams/lotions have done.  Recently I had one Beach-Ready Toe Nail Challenger send in her update and this is what she wrote: 

"Lastly, I simply LOVE the moisturizing milk and use it on my feet, arms, face, and everywhere.  It is silky and smooth and since I'm training for a full marathon walking, and I'll be walking in hot, hot temperatures and scorching sunshine, I do NOT want to plug my pores and skin and feel that the moisturizing milk provides me with moisture, without clogging waxes and silicones, while allowing my skin to do it's job."
Susan

Thanks for stopping by and reading.  Enjoy your day, Lisa M.

Source:  "The Original Beauty Bible" by Paula Begoun




No comments:

Post a Comment