Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Ultimate Nail Tag

Here's another tag post for today! This has been going around nail enthusiasts on YouTube and I thought I do it as well and share my story with you! Enjoy!

When did your nail passion start?
I can't say that I have developed a passion for nails over some particular stages in my life; I believe it was born with me (you will soon find out how, in the next question).  However, I can say that I actually started wearing nail polish at around 5 years of age and back then I was only allowed to wear clear polish or a light pink hue... lol I remember crying my heart out each time Mum wouldn't let me paint my nails when we where heading out on Saturday nights! 

When did you start growing your nails long?
Here's a little something about me: I started growing my nails when I was still in my mother's womb!! Don't freak out just yet, keep on reading... my dear parents say I was born with very long fingernails! However, growing up I don't remember having long nails and all; in fact I was inspired by my childhood best friend to grow them long like hers. This was around age 9 or 10 (today I am 21).

What are the secrets to growing long natural nails?
I don't think I can call this a secret because everyone knows they should follow a healthy balanced diet for healthy hair, skin and nails.  Based on my experience, I think that devoting some of your time to your hands everyday will really make a difference, say massaging a hand cream with a good SPF in the morning and a moisturizing one before you go to sleep and gently push back the cuticles after you shower.  Using a nail strengthener will also help as does a good nail file (check out a more detailed post by clicking here). One thing to always remember is: YOUR NAILS ARE NOT TOOLS!!! I am also planning to start a nail care series on this blog later next year, so watch out for more tips to growing your nails long :)

Do you like long or short nails?
I like a set of nicely shaped nails, being long or short! The only nails I dislike are nails gnawed down so hard with hangnails all around them... they're plain unsightly to me on men and more especially women!

Which do you prefer mostly: acryilic, gel, fiberglass or any other nail enhancement?
Undoubtedly gel nails! For those of you who don't know, I am a qualified gel nail technician, and there is a reason why I chose gels over the other available options. I think gel nails look more natural and are less harsh on the natural nails underneath than say acrylic ones; I don't want to only enhance the look of my client's nails, I also care for them! So yeah, gel nails all the way!

Do you prefer false nails or natural nails?
Personally, I like my natural nails so I'd say natural nails. However, when applied nicely and shaped well, false nails do look like natural ones don't they? At least for a week or two! Also, with natural nails, you can change your manicure regularly!

What nail shape do you like best: round, square, pointy, squoval?
Square and squoval are my personal favourites (my nails are always square shaped). Round comes in at a very close second and I like to suggest this to clients who's hands are on the bigger side as they create an illusion of slim hands.  With regards to pointy and edge nails, I'd say leave those for nail competitions unless you want to poke someone in their eyes to blind them intentionally!

What nail polish brand do you love the most?
I have tried a lot of nail polishes from different brands but I don't own any China Glaze or OPI yet so don't expect me to say they are my favourites. I think Rimmel have a good range of polishes as do e.l.f. cosmetics.

If you were stuck on an island, what would be the three nail items you would bring?
Easy! A nail file, hand cream and cuticle oil! I would have all the time in the world to paint them as soon as I get back home, so I would be happy to keep them in top condition in the meantime!

Why do you love nail art and how did you get started doing nail art?


My aunt would let me choose which ever colour I wanted from her extensive collection whenever I stayed over and I was at my happiest there! She was also the one who introduced me to the wonderful world of make up (more in another tag post)! She had this Italian pink colour by Max Factor and I nearly always chose it! In fact I did my first nail art with it... I drew flowers using it and a toothpick at around 12 years of age or so! Modestly I say I have come a long way since then and I have been buying nail stuff from all over the place... whichever items tickle my fantasy and like I said I have also qualified as a nail technician last September!

I perceive nail art as a form of expression - it can be dainty or full blown, and I think that is the fun thing with nails! I like to see mine as a personalized accessory and while the rest of my make up is subtle, my nails can be painted in a striking colour! I think that nails are like shoes to an outfit... they complete it! After all why would millions of women around the world make that extra effort in coordinating nail colour and nail art to their outfits?



Blogger Templates

No comments:

Post a Comment