Thursday, December 16, 2010

NOTW: Starry Christmas Night Sky... Christmas Tutorial #2

Here's another nail tutorial for the festive season...


I decided to post this today because I have another two nail tutorials for Christmas and if I published them on Sundays I wouldn't be in time obviously! I really liked how the base colour turned out to be.  I was originally going to do snowflakes but I have seen quite a bunch of tutorials with that design so I opted for something different, yet still related to the night sky.  I was actually inspired by that part in the Christmas story where the Magi follow a big bright star to find the crib Baby Jesus was born in.  Here's how you can create this nail look yourselves :)

1. As usual, start with a clear base coat.

2. Then, paint on a thin coat of a light blue or turquoise colour all over the entire nail. Don't worry about opacity of the colour as we will soon paint on another colour.  For this step I used Inglot Nail Enamel 309.

3. While the first nail polish is still drying, paint on a darker blue, again all over the entire nail without worrying about opacity.  I used e.l.f. Dark Navy here. Leave everything to dry before proceeding with the next step.

4. For this step you will need a make-up sponge.  Apply a few strokes of a dark grey shimemry colour (I used e.l.f. Metal Madness) on one edge of the sponge and sponge your whole nail with the colour. Re-apply the colour on the sponge as often as necessary (one or two times per nail should be enough).  When ready, leave it to dry.


5. Now for the star design... you will need a striper brush with long hairs for this to get the best possible results (you can get some cheap ones off ebay if you like).  I chose Orly Dazzle and I started by creating a vertical line all along the nail, then cross over a horizontal one to form a cross.  Next, paint on two diagonal stripes to create an 'X' shape and your star is done!  For the ring fingers, I also added a silver round rhinestone in the centre of the star.

6.  As a top coat, I used e.l.f. Twinkle to get a matte frosty look with tons of shimmer! Enjoy!




Blogger Templates
Blogger Templates

No comments:

Post a Comment